Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Serving Size

So I have a question for you all? Do you think our serving sizes are too big, too little or just enough?

For my small family of four; my husband (who generally is a big-eater), myself (who is also generally a big-eater), my 2 year old daughter (who eats like a bird), and my 8 mo (who would eat like a pig if she had teeth but alas is stuck to pureed baby food); we don't eat 6 servings. I can cook a recipe for 4 servings and still have left-overs for Aaron the next day. Six servings is just way too much for my family, especially if you count one whole chicken breast as a serving.

I would love to hear what you think. Let me know how well your family does with 6 servings. I think that probably the majority of us don't need 6 servings, but again, I might be wrong. So let me know because if everyone thinks we are cooking too much then lets cut it down. That would be cheaper in the long run and I wouldn't feel so guilty if I finally threw away the leftovers after eating it for the third day in a row.

9 comments:

Homemaker is not a "dirty" word said...

So far for my family of 5,Lance is a big eater, and the rest of us are hit and miss, I am barely getting enough to feed my family. Maybe we are big eaters?
Cari J

Anonymous said...

There is always way too much food for us. I would rather do 4 servings. But when I do chicken the breasts are usually huge, so I cut them in half and do half a breast for each serving.

Nanci and Steve said...

I also usually use a 1/2 chicken breast as one serving. I like having the left-overs because it's easy lunch for Steve. If I'm making a recipe for my family that's a full 9x13 pan though, I'll usually make the full recipe and then put it into 2 8x8 pans. I have a biiger family so I like having the 9x13's, but for a smaller family, maybe 2 8x8's for the month.

natalie said...

I too have counted 1/2 chicken breast as a serving. We usually have more than we need, but I don't know how I would tweak recipes to only make 4 servings.

Anonymous said...

What if we do two 8x8's. That way if you are a larger family you can do both pans at once and if you are a smaller family you can do only one.

Anonymous said...

If we decide to make a change, can we decide soon because of sales this week.

Savanna Sorensen said...

For right now let's hold off on changing anything. I was just curious as to what everyone thought. Still prepare your meals with 6 servings.

Lisa E said...

We use the leftovers for lunches, so I don't mind the 6 servings. 6 servings is more than we need for 1 dinner, but half probably wouldn't be enough. If we did switch to 2 8x8s has anyone found them for a decent price? I have only found the 9x13 or larger at Sam's, and although I've bought the foil 8x8s at other stores they are considerably more.

Brandie said...

I like the 6 servings it is plenty for us especially right now because Jeff is not around for meal time but even when he is here it is plenty and I love having it for lunch the next day. I also have not seen the 8x8 pans for cheap anywhere....