Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Crazy First Attempt


So I thought I would share some of my thoughts and feelings about cooking 13...actually it turned out to be 15...meals tonight.
I didn't really follow very many of my own cooking tips. I had children running around crazy, only one set of measuring cups available, not enough big bowls to stir the meals, and not all of my supplies handy.
I assembled my Broccoli Chicken and Rice meal in 4 seperate batches all at the same time. My first batch took me a while as I tried to get everything in order. However, by my second and third batch I had things down to a science.
After writing the cooking instructions on freezer bags 15 times I can tell you the directions by heart.
My arms are tired from stirring and my feet tired from standing.
Luckily I had my husband do the running up and down the stairs to the freezer and he was nice enough to run to the store when I ran out of a couple of items.
With all of that said, I must say that it feels great to have actually made 15 meals in 3 hours. I have a nice freezer full of meals already to hand out on Monday. I'm tired but it will be totally worth it everytime I don't want to make dinner next month.
I hope everyone else's cooking experiences have either gone well or will go well. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

By the way, just for your information:
*I changed my meal from the Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake to Broccoli Chicken and Rice. It's mostly the same ingredients just in a different preparation. I will put the recipe in our cook book later along with the nutritional value of the recipe.
*Chicken is $1.78/lb in the fresh packs at Walmart right now.
*Smith's is having their case lot sale so if you need some items in bulk you might want to check them out. For instance I got Cream of Chicken Soup for $0.59 a can. That's a really good price. Smith's Kroger Shredded Cheese 2lb bags are only $4.99 a bag. Not even Sams club/Costco in their 5lb bags can beat that.
*I did the math on my meals. I tried really hard to stay within the $75 budget but just couldn't do it. I spent $106 and I made 15 meals. That means each meal is only $7. Just thought you might find that info interesting.

5 comments:

Tawni and Paul said...

I popped in on Brooke making her meals... that was a lot of pork. I went shopping at the case lot for my meals. My husband was impressed that I was doing food storage until he found out I really wasn't, it was for the meals. I'm attempting to assemble on Saturday, so hopefully all goes well. It's good to know that it will be worth it when I'm done :)

bskinn said...

I actually thought making our 13 wasn't too bad!! I started around 3:30 and was finished by 5:00! I priced out my meals and I managed to spend only $74! Thankfully, Wade was my in house butcher and cut my slits in all 78 chops! I definitely think this is worth it!

Tawni and Paul said...

I too am finished & did ok. Thank goodness. I spent about $7.85 per meal, so definitely not as good as I wanted price wise, but I think I did ok.

Nanci and Steve said...

I got mine done yesterday. I spent $110 on 13 meals. At just over $8 a meal for 6 people, that's only 1.33 a serving. Way better than eating out. I'm excited to try all your meals. Thanks for pulling this all together Savannah.

Nanci and Steve said...

I got mine done yesterday. I spent $110 on 13 meals. At just over $8 a meal for 6 people, that's only 1.33 a serving. Way better than eating out. I'm excited to try all your meals. Thanks for pulling this all together Savannah.