Monday, September 13, 2010

A Victorious First Attempt!


I don't know about everyone else but my freezer looks awesome with all the food we cooked. I'm excited to try everyone's meals. (Don't be fooled. Not all that food in my freezer is from our exchange. :) )

I think our first attempt at the meal exchange was a success. After talking to several people there are a couple of suggestions that I think we should put into practice for next time.

First, if you have extra add ons like cheese in a bag, french fried onions, etc, put the name of the dish they belong to on the plastic bag, can, or package so that we know which meal it belongs to, then try to attach it to the main meal. If it's a can or you can't attach it to the main meal then place the frozen meal and accessories together in a plastic grocery bag. This will help insure that everyone gets all the accessories.

Another suggestion is to bring your meals in a box or laundry basket so that next time we can just set them up in a line on my kitchen floor and have everyone go around in a line and grab a meal. Hopefully that would keep us from forgetting to grab a meal.

Next time I will have a print out of all the meals everyone is bringing. That way as we walk around grabbing our meals we can just check the meal off the list, making sure we have all of them. This means that at least a couple of days before the exchange I would need to know what everyone is bringing. So make sure you add your meals to the main list on the blog.

Also, several people have mentioned that they know of at least one or two people wanting to join the group. Several of us have talked about it but obviously everyone's opinion is important. So what do you think about adding more people? We were thinking about putting a cap on the amount of people that could join. We were thinking 20 people would be enough. Then if we had even more people than that that wanted to join then they would just have to start their own group. We discussed splitting the group into 2 groups of 10 but people commented that they would rather spend a little more at one time on bulk items and only exchange every 6 weeks then split the group. What do you think?

We would give the people that wanted to join a week to let us know and get up to speed with the blog and the guidelines. That way people could start looking for food on sale now.

I think that's all the suggestions I can think of right now. Let me know what you think about the suggestions and also anything else you can think of.

Good work you guys!

PS, Did someone not get a Sweet and Sour Chicken? I ended up having two extras left at my house. It's in my freezer waiting for someone to claim them. Let me know.

4 comments:

Brandie said...

I thought it went great as well. I am really excited about trying everyone's meals I just don't think we all realize the time and money we will end up saving over all! I know of one person who wants to join and I am totally fine with the 20 and spending a little more. Jenna Pursel was very interested so if you don't mind I would like to invite her to join us. Thanks for all your hard work Savanna (sorry if I misspelled your name!) I certainly appreciate it!!!!

Savanna Sorensen said...

Yeah, I think that would be fine. Right now we have Ruthann Hotten, Cari Jessup and Krista Marler signed up wanting to participate. So I think adding Jenna would be just fine. She would be number 17. Go ahead and add her to the blog and give her administrative rights. :)

Bobbi said...

I think it sounds great! Thanks for all your time you have put into this!!

Tiffany said...

Thanks to everyone for the meals. I am so excited to try them all. As for adding more people to the group. I feel like 20 is kind of alot. It looks like we have about 18 people now. I am fine with that. I am just worried about eating all the meals. We are a small family so we are always going to have leftovers. Even if we go to 6 weeks I dont know if we will get through all of them. Maybe I will just have to drop out every 3rd or 4th month. So my freezer isn't to full. If alot more people want to join we could always have two groups. One small family group (feeds 4) and one big family group (feeds 6). Whatever happens I am ok with it though. I love having meal already to eat.